Maldive Shipwrecks a Quick Guide

For a fully illustrated version please email deeplens@aol.com- “shipwrecks of the Maldives ” in the subject box!

S.S.VICISSITUDE 1836; A sailing ship on a journey from Mauritius to Ceylon  was wrecked at ihavandhippolhu- fulu (HAA-ALIF ATOLL)

UNKNOWN WRECK (HATHIFUSHI);  An unidentified wreck sank 30th July 1917

S.S.“OCEANO” (KADUFUSHI);A British 4657 ton,369 ft x 52 ft steal hulled single screw cargo ship built in 1900 by Russel & Co at Glasgow for Andrew Weir & Co, .sailing under the Bank Line flag. She was capable of producing 403 nhp from her triple expansion steam engine.  She was wrecked during a voyage from Port Said to Calcutta with a cargo of salt on the 19th July 1917,while under  the command of Master T.George.

“CAPTAIN PENTAILS” ( FILLADHOO);3132 Ton freighter sank 4th June  1963

Haa – Dhaal Atoll

“ROYAL FAMILY” (RUFFFUSHI)a wooden vessel from Liverpooll, wrecked 19th Aug 1868, 1750 tons, on a voyage from Aden to Callao in balast.

“PERSIA MERCHANT” (MAKUNUDHOO);

“HAYSTON” (MAKUNUDHOO)An English sailing vessel with a cargo of wine, spices, metals  and glass was wrecked “in the MALE ATOL” in 1819
The Hayston, a three-mast English vessel commanded by Captain Sartorius, set out from Isle-de-France ( Mauritius) for Calcutta on July 1, 1819. For several days bad weather had prevented them from taking any observations and on July 20 at 8pm, some reefs were noticed in the gloomy darkness. There was little time to tack and the ship struck the reef on Maamakunudhoo Atoll on the north west of the Maldives. Within a quarter of an hour, there was seven feet of water in the hold and the ship’s crew were at the mercy of the elements.

Nuunu Atoll – Shaviyani

GEORGE REID 1872 115 ton  British iron hulled sailing ship on a journey from London  to GALLE to pick up a cargo was wrecked “ on the south west barrier of milaghummadulu atoll (SHAVIYANI and NOONU ATOLLS)” on 25th September 1872

SKIPJACK 11

The Skipjack 11 was being towed out to sea to be scuttled when it caught fire and was cut from its tow. It drifted onto the reef between the islands of FELAVARU and GAAVERIFARU  sinking stern first, he bow still protruding out of the water to this day. She had been a fish factory then used as a freezer unit until it was no longer serviceable. The stern of the vessel is in 30 mtrs, holds and superstructure easy to explore. Strong currents can prevail over both wrecks.

The attitude of the wreck  makes for an exhilarating dive-starting off with a plummet down the outside sheltered from the current with a visit to the wheelhouse on the sea  bed.

If no current is present then a swim to explore the second wreck is a must, otherwise you can swim slowly up through the hull of the Skipjack.

We made several dives on these two wrecks and witnessed eagle rays sweeping into the seebed hunting .NOT A DIVE FOR THE BEGINNER

M.V.GAAFARU, FACTORY SHIP Only 30 mtrs away from the SKIPJACK is another factory ship, this one also scuttled but now lies on its  portside  in 30 mtrs. Festooned in marine life it is a dive or two in its own right-with endless photo opportunities

Both wrecks are totally covered in marine life and are full of sweepers and reef fishes. The structure is relatively intact and there are many areas to explore inside the wrecks.

THE CORBIN The Corbin was a French ship of 400 tons, which set sail from St Malo with the Croissant on May 18, 1601, in search of trade with the east. Plagued by misfortune and ill discipline, the Corbin was destined for disaster and met its end on Goidhoo, or Horsburgh Atoll, on July 2, 1602. It was carrying a cargo of silver and attempted salvage at the time of loss was unsuccessful because of deep water.

At the start of the journey, a bad omen occurred when the mast broke and the crew threatened to jump ship. Sickness and desertions threatened the expedition before the ship had even begun to cross the Indian Ocean. The stifling heat had destroyed many provisions, the water was putrid, fish and meat had gone bad and was full of big worms, butter had turned to oil, and scurvy was rampant. A short stay of 15 days at Malailli, one of the Comoroes islands, vastly improved the health of the crew before they crossed the Indian Ocean. On July 1, some reefs and islands were sighted which were correctly recognized as the Maldives by the English pilot. The night was supposed to be spent beating about, but the Corbin was virtually left to herself. During the night the captain was ill and in his bunk, the mate and second mate were drunk and the watch was asleep. In the early hours of the morning of July 2, the ship struck the reef.

Of the 40 or so survivors, one band of 12 men stole a boat and made it to India. Only four of the remainder survived the five-year captivity. One of them was Francois Pyrard, who wrote about his adventures when he returned. It wasn’t until February 1607, when an expedition from Chittagong invaded the capital, that Pyrard and his three remaining companions were taken to India and eventually returned to France. Ironically, it was the excellent cannon on board the Corbin that the raiding party was after, which eventually freed the captives. The treatment of Pyrard and his companions by the Maldivians was uncharacteristically cruel but their fate was largely determined by their conduct in the days following the wreck of the Corbin. All the silver and the most precious merchandise were stowed at the bottom of the ship which, after running onto the reef was under water and irretrievable. What remained of the silver was hidden in their waistbands.

During their first night on Fulhadhoo, they hid their waistbands for fear they should be searched by the islanders. At length, the sailors obtained little to eat and were dying of hunger, so they unearthed the coins and offered money for food, which they received. In turn, the natives would give nothing except for money and before long the coins started to run out.

S.S.ERLANGEN This was a 2750 ton iron hulled German  steamship, built by Blohm und Voss,at Hamburg 1889.She was 321 ft long with a 38ft beam, and her triple expansion engine could deliver 320hp.She was described as a twin deck steel screw schooner, mastered by Captain E Oohnsorg. She sank during a storm in 1894 while on a voyage from Cylon to Germany fully laden.

Until quite recently, it was thought this was the large wreck lying in a central location on the reef, however when the Red Sea Wreck Academy carried out a survey of the area looking for the S.S.ARACAN, a fiddlers plate revealed a new identity to the wreck age. Thus the ERLANGEN remains unfound.

S.S.SEAGULL 1012 ton, 32 crew 2 passengers, reputed to have sunk in 1879 similar in build to the Dunraven lies on the north east of Gaafaru Island. She was a Carnatic like ship, iron hulled, single screw, primitive steam engine and rigged for sail. She was on a voyage from London to  Calcutta . The stern is the only part which is relatively intact and  lies on its starboard side in  35 mtrs at the base of the reef. The wreckage starts in 5 mtrs and is strewn over the reef covered in corals. Her bow sprit points towards the surface but is also well dispersed. Remains of the 2 cylinder inverted compound engine can still be seen in the shallows.There is also evidence of a traction engine, and this may play a part in the eventual identification of the wreck. Despite intensive research we have not been able to formally identify this wreck or prove that a ship of this name existed, and confirmation would be welcomed!

THE LADY CHRISTINE A cable laying vessel which ran aground  on April 16th 1974 in a heavy swell on the western side of the atoll below Hulhangu Kandu, while laying communication cables. Despite salvage attempts she sank and her remains now lie from 10 mtrs to  30 mtrs, Her engine cable laying drums and other deck fittings can  be explored  and the entire wreck is covered in  a vast array of corals , supporting a great multitude of fish life. Built in  1965 at Bremerhaven by SCHIFFB UNTERWESSER. Panamanian registered she was owned by International Offshore Services ( Liberia) Ltd 862 tons, 178 ft long with a 32 ft beam and a 23 ft draught .   (dodas3/263)

S.S..“ARACAN” ( GAARARU) Built in 1854 at Whitehaven for the Brocklebank Shipping Co,1174 TON iron hulled ,Glasgow registered vessel, voyage from Rangoon to London sank Aug 12 1873, 42 crew 12 passengers (alt spec-788t,183x 37 x23). Her Master was SC Harwood. The wreck now lies in two halves, Located to the west of Iruvai Kandu. On the northern tip of the atoll,  the stern in 45 mtrs on its starboard side with a typical propeller of its day ( akin to the Ulysses).The engine room can be explored  revealing her triple expansion engine. Lying in the reef are her two massive boilers masts and cargo remains. Her bow section now well dispersed lies in 15mtrs and the ribs and framework make excellent photo backdrops.

She was the subject and one of the main targets for the RSWA, however, noticing a raised section on the windlass  sitting upright in the shallows, members of the team cleaned away the concretion to reveal the date 1871,and DUMBARTON. Clearly this could not be the Erlangen-she was not built until 1889.Our contacts in Glasgow confirmed that the ARACAN was fitted with a steam windlass in 1871

A makers plate, the “Fiddlers Seat” was uncovered on the windlass of the wreck thought to be the Erlangen, revealingher true identity;

Matthew Paul &co, DUMBARTON 1871 YARD NO 84

PATENT STEAM WINDLASS PATANTEES & MAKERS

“CLAN ALPINE” ( GAARARU) 362 barque wrecked October 1879 on a voyage from Mauritius to Bombay with a cargo of sugar registered at Lieth.

“CRUSADER” ( GAARARU) Wrecked in 1905,with a cargo of sugar cargo sugar,she lies 200mtrs north of the shallow entrance at Gaaararu.The anchor is visible at low tide.,with her funnel,ribs and spars in shallow water

.“SWISS” (HELEGELI) 1397 TON iron hulled barque, cargo of iron, sank May 29th 1890 on route from Pondicherry to Marsailles.

DHORAMA,lies  on top of the reef south of the Swiss and is broken up

Built in Scotland at Lieth by Henry Rob Ltd. The 1420 ton, 82 mtrs general cargo motor vessel was owned by the Maldives Shipping Co. She was returning to her home port from Singapore when she struck Helule Island  reef at the entrance to Male Harbour on feb 12th 1981 and sank on the west side of the reef  next morning.

Perhaps the best wreck in the Maldives, sitting upright and swept by strong currents she is a challenging and worthwhile dive, worthy of several visits. Her accommodation block offers exiting areas of exploration for the experienced diver trained in wreck diving techniques.

North Male Atoll – Hembardhoo

TUGBOAT WRECK Only 20 mtrs long this is an intact tugboat, sitting upright in 22 mtrs. Sunk as a diving attraction in  1988, it has an intact wheelhouse forward, with mast still in place, behind which is a small hold , with deck winches at the stern. The wreck is a haven for marine life and there are a  vast assortment of invertebrates as well as fish to be encountered

North Male Atoll – Ihuru Island

THE DREDGER WRECK, “RANNAMARI” Having completed its work in land reclaimation this 21 mtrs dredger, originally from Singapore, was stripped of its engine, batteries, oil and other contaminates and prepared for sinking as a diving attraction on the 25th April 1999,Before she could be sunk she filled with water and sank of her own accord. She now lies on a flat sandy bed in 25 mtrs on her side.

South Male Atoll – Guardihoo

GURAIDHOO WRECK In the 16th century, a Chinese ship with a cargo of porcelain and Chinese merchandise was wrecked near the island of Guraidhoo .  Pyrard, who visited the island in 1605 recorded

”I was at that island one day, and saw the mast and rudder of the ship that was lost there. 1 was told it was the richest ship conceivable. It had on board some 500 persons, men, women, and children, for the Indians take the greater part of their household to sea with them. These 500 persons were nigh all drowned, and there remained but a hundred saved. This ship came from Sunda (Indonesia), laden with all kinds of spices and other merchandise of China and Sunda. Judging merely from the mast of this vessel, I thought it the largest I had ever seen, for the mast was taller and thicker than those of the Portuguese carracks; and the king of the Maldives built a shed of the length of the mast to keep it as a curiosity. I saw also another mast and a top much larger than those of Portugal. Thus was I led to believe that in the Indies they build vessels larger and of better material than in Portugal or anywhere else in the world. The greatest ships come from the coast of Arabia, Persia, and Mogor, and some have as many as 2,000 persons on board”.

“Old folk on Guraidhoo still talk about a wooden ship believed to be wrecked on Medhu Faru near Guraidhoo centuries ago; however no visible remains are to be seen”.

“H” Traweler, Viligandhu, Rasdhu Atoll

This is yet another fishing vessel, this time an ocean going trawler sitting upright on a sandy bottom in 27mtrs out from the resort of Veligandu. The hull is covered in red sea squirts and corals. A storm fo’c’sle covers, and refrigeration equipment is still evident in the holds .Her engine and bridge areas are accessible, and there is collision damage on the bow. Sea bass and snapper are amongst the shoaling fish.

FISH TRANSPORTER WRECK, KUREDO Located at the northern end of Viligili Falhu, this is a 30 mtrs long fish transport vessel lying with her stern in 35 mtrs and her bow rising up towards the surface. The wheel house and holds are full of sweepers and the wreck is heavily encrusted. With soft and hard corals. There is a swim through under the ships keel and here fish gather at a cleaning station.

FESDU WRECK Located at the northern end of VILIGILI FALHU, this is a 30 mtr trawler sitting intact  and  upright  on a sloping sandy bottom from 35 to 29 mtrs, with a surrounding eel garden.A small 3 cylinder steam engine can still be found and access is via the galley at the rear of the wheel house. The wheelhouse and holds are full of sweepers and the deck and superstructure are covered in both soft and hard corals Its compactness allows for full exploration and is great for photography.

HALAVELI WRECK (STINGRAY WRECK) Sank in 1991 intentionally as a diving attraction, this 40 mtr long coastal cargo ship sits upright in 30 mtrs, close to the reef on a sandy shelf. The superstructure and engine room ar positioned aft. Attracts a large variety of life, although the stingrays seem to be less apparent.

KUDA GIRI WRECK A 40 mtr long cargo ship sitting upright in 30 mtrs to within 15 mtrs of the surface. The superstructure is situated aft, with raised stern and winches, forward of the bridge is a single hold, foremast then raised fo’c’le. Many areas of easy access for penetration.The handrails and canopy  are totally encrusted, intact and teeming with life.Large green trees of coral grow all over the wreck and the winch is surrounded by clouds of anthers. Purpose sunk as a diving attraction

South Ari Atoll

KHUDI MAA Situated near the village of Machchafushi, in the south east of South Ari Atoll, this is the  wreck of a bulk cargo ship some 44mtrs long. She sits upright in 31 mtrs of water on a sandy bottom, her masts still rising to within 10 mts of the  surface. She is covered in life from bow to stern and attracts large shoals of horse eyed jacks, and snappers. The superstructure is situated aft above the engine room. The Galley, helm radio mast and funnel are all interesting features. Forward of the bridge is a crane with its jib pointing forward, the control cab easily accessible. One continuous hold runs towards the bow, home to many spinney lobsters. Her fo’c’sle is accessed from a deck hatch and her anchor chain runs out to the nearby reef.

AL KARIM Located near Ranveli Village on the east side of South Ari Atoll. A bulk cargo ship sitting upright in 33mtrs about 60 mtrs long, on sand ,surrounded by  an eel garden. Sunk in 2000, her superstructure boast 3 levels and is located aft and features a galley, bridge, joining corridors and access to the engine room. Her engine was removed prior to sinking.The holds are empty are are beginning to fill with sand.The fo’c’sle has an anchor winch and square ventilators run the length of the wreck

Faar Atoll – Himithi

“DURAS”1777 A French sailing vessel wrecked on the 12th April 1777

Km agro mina 11. In November 2009 the fishing boat KM AGRO MINA 11 was purposely sunk at the north side of FILTHEYO in 30mtrs as an attraction for resident divers. It is a wooden hulled fishing boat sitting almost upright, with a lean to starboard .Like many of the other man made wrecks in the Maldives, it is of the same layout-single hold forward, with the wheelhouse aft sitting on top of the galley and engine room. The position of the wreck means it gets swept with good currents- so soft corals should start to colonies the wreck quite quickly.

MADI GE A small trawler sank in  September 2000 off Mirihi resort. Lies bow down in the sand and attracts batfish glass fish and jacks in 20 mtrs

RHANDI 11 Situated on the south east corner of South Ari Atol sunk in 1998 in 20 mtrs

DURAS A French sailing vessel which sunk in 1777, april 12th.

Alif Atoll – Kuramathi

“SS REINDER” REINDEEER? British vessel, registered in Liverpool, on a journey from Mauiritius to Galle in ballast 965 ton, 26 crew wrecked 29th may 1868

Vaavu Atoll – Higaakulhi

“PIONEER” A general cargo vessel, built in 1899 at Danzig  by Johannsen as the “RIO” she later became the EXPRESS Then the EXPRESS before she was renamed by her final owners O Nielson (Denmark).She Was wrecked on a voyage from Colombo to Male was wrecked on 13th May 1958 with a general cargo. Fitted with oil engines, 2 SA  2cy 320×320(91 X 20 X8)

RAVENSTEIN” The 800 ton Dutch East Indiaman Ravestein was sailing to Jakarta from the Netherlands with a valuable cargo of gold and silver when it ran aground at Madhuveri Island in Mulaku Atoll on May 8, 1726. At the time of loss, nine chests of silver and one chest of gold were recovered. The captain, Antony Klink, sent the rest of the crew to Male’, while he remained for one month at the island near where the vessel was lost. The arrogant conduct of Klink tested the patience of the Maldivians, in particular, Sultan Ibrahim Iskandar II (1720 – 50 AD). In a letter sent to the Dutch Governor of Ceylon, the sultan said Klink did nothing but complain bitterly of the inhabitants of the islands.

Meemu Atoll – Maalhaveli

“PRAZERE ALGERIA” The Prazer e Allegria left Lisbon, Portugal, on November 8, 1843 with 84 convicts and relief officers and others, bound for Goa, India. She reached the Cape of Good Hope with the loss of 29 convicts from scurvy and on March 16, 1844, the crew sighted several islands which the captain declared were the Maldives. With the current running at three miles an hour towards land, the captain continued on the same course.

The ship had struck the reef off Muli Island in Mulaku Atoll and on the morning of the 18th, the passengers and crew were transported to Muli Island without loss of life. On the following day the cock-boat, the long boat, and a hired boat from the villagers were dispatched in order to procure more provisions but all three boats were sunk by waves. Eleven lives were lost mostly convicts.

The 104 survivors remained on the island of Muli for five days before being transported to the “King’s Island”. It took seven days sailing by day only and stopping the night at islands to reach Male’. The captain hired two Catamarans to transport the survivors to Ceylon, among whom were two ladies and three children

RAYVILLA WRECK Lies inside MEENU midway down the west pass.

KALHAUOHFUMMI. Noted to have sunk here in 1573, south east of Kohovaariyaafushi, south east  corner of Mukuku Atoll

Dhall Atoll – Kudahuvadahoo

“LIFFEY” Built in 1870 by Potters at Liverpool for WCA Altringham  this  3 hold screw schooner was mastered by G.H.Rake, when  on a voyage from Mauritius to Calcutta she wrecked  on 3 August 1879.The vessel was 116ft long fitted with a 2 cylinder, dirct acting steam engine producing 30hp.

“UTHEEMU” Wrecked on 15th July 1960

Thaa Atoll – Veligadu

“ALDONIS” Wrecked July 1835

LAAAMU ATOLL- MAAVAH

“FRANCEOIS”The French registetred vessel was on a voyage from Bourbon to Calcutta when she was wreckd on the 3RD JUNE 1873

Laamu Atoll – Haddummathi

“ST. CLAIR PARAMATTA” .A small sailing vessel, crew of 11 wrecked  in 1855

Laamu Atoll – Isdhoo

“LAGAN BANK”A 5583 ton, British twin screw steel  Steam ship with a cargo of Jute gunnies was wrecked on  13th January 1938, while on a voyage from Calcutta to The River Plate

“UMAANA”an unknown vessel which sank in1903

Gaaf  Alif Atoll – Maamutaa Atoll

“NICOLAOS S. EMBIRICOS” (FORE SECTION).A Greek general motor vessel, 8460 ton,469 ft long,.61 ft beam,39 ft draught, built in 1958 by Cammel Laird Ltd Birkenhead for the Cia, Navagation Elpsilom S.A. On May 15th,1969 she ran aground on Sunadiva Atoll While on a voyage from Calcutta to the United States Gulf with a cargo of 6.139 tons of jute gunnies, cotton and tea. Number 1 & 2 holds flooded and 3 tugs tried un- successfully for 13 days to refloat the vessel. Most of the crew abandoned ship and the master and 3 officers remained on board until it was concluded that the ship was lost. The salvors then decided to  break the vessel in two with explosives and cutting, leaving the forepeak behind. This was accomplished on July 14th and the day after the jute caught fire causing severe damage to the superstructure and the engine room. The refloated stern section was eventually taken to Singapore to be scrapped.

Gaaf Alif Atoll – Viligili

UNKNOWN VESSEL. Reported to be a liner with 700 passengers on board ran aground 24th May 1902- more research required

SPIRIT Wrecked on the GAAF ALIF and GAAAF DHAAL ATOLLS, September 1856

AEGEAN 1873 An iron hulled sailing ship of 836 tons registered in Lieth, on a voyage from Sourabaya to Amsterdam with a cargo of tobacco cotton and sugar was wrecked at GAAF ALIF and GAAAF DHAAL ATOLLS ON May 4th, 1873

ADELINE 1874A 145 TON 3 masted iron hulled schooner of French registry sailing from MAURITIUS to COLOMBO with a cargo of sugar and empty casks which sand in 1874

S.S.CONSETT. Built in 1872 by Mitchells ( who also built the Dunraven) for William Milburn & Co.. She was 1727 tons, 259ft long screw schooner, her 2 cylinder direct acting steam engine was built at Hawthorns Marine engine works at Wallsend. She was mastered by J. Hodgeson, when she was wrecked on the 7th May, 1880 sailing from Bassien to Port Said with a cargo of rice. On the north east edge of  GAAAF ALIF / GAAF DHALL

Seenu Atoll – Hithadhoo

“BRITISH LOYALTY”A 5583 ton British oil tanker, built in 1928 by Palmers of Newcastle. She survived an attack by a midget submarine in Diego Suarez harbour May 30th 1944.Damaged but repaired, she was torpedoed in Addo Atoll harbour and remained there until the end of the war when  she was sunk by gunfire from a British warship during the British withdrawal of Gan on Jan 5th 1946.

She lies between the island of MARADHOO and HITHAHOO on her starboard side in 33 mtrs. The port side is in 16mts, bow pointing north she is 140mtrs long with a centre island bridge arrangement and stern engine room. The hole made by the torpedo is huge and divers can gain access to her interior through this. Raised walkways connect the centre island to the fo’c’sle and aft superstructure

Other vessels known to have foundered

L’ ECUREUIL 204 ton French brig, registered at Bayonne,with a crew of 10 was on a voyage from Buenos Aires to Singapore in ballast ,when she was wrecked on the reefs of “ONE AND A HALF DEGREE CHANNEL”

TRANQUABAR A sailing vessel on a voyage to Colombo with a cargo of cloth, she was wrecked “near MALE” on 29th Jan  1797

EUROPA A sailing vessel with a cargo of arms and cloth was wrecked  “in the southern atolls”  23 may 1812

JAMES MC INROY 1837 Exact location unknown

KANZLER built by Blohm Und Voss, owned by Indian trading co DADA MIA KHANDANI,3136 tons, 321 ft x 39.2 x 27, triple expansion engine,  general cargo. Sank Aug 14th 1914 Karachi to Maurtius

SS Khedive Ismail The 7,513 ton steamship was launched as the Aconcagua by Scotts of Greenock in 1922. The Aconcagua passed into Egyptian ownership in 1935 and was renamed Khedive Ismail. In 1940 the Khedive Ismail was requisitioned as a British troopship by the Ministry of War Transport (MoWT).

On 6 February 1944 Convoy KR-8, consisting of 5 troop ships, sailed from Kilindini Harbour at Mombasa, Kenya to Colombo, Ceylon,  escorted by the heavy cruiser HMS Hawkins and the destroyers HMS Petard and HMS Paladin.

In the early afternoon of Saturday 12 February 1944, the Japanese B1 type submarine I-27, commanded by Lt-Cdr Toshiaki Fukumura, attacked the convoy in the One and a Half Degree Channel, south-west of the Maldives .

The ship was carrying 1,511 personnel including 178 crew, 996 officers and men of the East African Artillery’s 301st Field Regiment, 271 Royal Navy personnel, and a detachment of 19 Wrens. Also on board were 53 nursing sisters accompanied by one matron, and 9 members of the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry.

As survivors floundered in the sea, I-27 submerged and hid beneath them. While HMS Paladin lowered boats over her side to begin rescuing survivors, HMS Petard raced in to release depth charges. The destruction of an enemy submarine that might sink more ships took precedence over the lives of the survivors, and I-27 under Commander Fukumura had a history of machine-gunning survivors of ships she had sunk, On Petard’s third run, her depth charges forced I-27 to the surface. Paladin rammed the submarine, in the process causing considerable damage to herself. Finally a torpedo from Petard destroyed the I-27.

1,297 people, including 77 women, lost their lives.

Published by Peter Collings 2010.LATEST E BOOK AVAILABLE FREE CALL 07518161970.We also run group expeds to discover more new wrecks in the Maldives.GIVE US A CALL

Internet Marketing by 2buy1click Ltd